Saturday, November 26, 2011

5 April 1933, El Cerrito, California


                                                                        El Cerrito
                                                                        Apr—5— 33
           
Dearest Dora:—
            Well sweetheart I suppose I am a piker. But honey girl, I have been working nites in El Cerrito and living in Emeryville. So I havent had a chance to get my mail for ten days and I have felt to punk to write. I was holding down two jobs and I got sick and quite one. Well I think I quite the wrong one because the one I am on now is cut down to four days and it may be only two days a week[.] I have been trying to [p. 1] save enough money to get out of this country but it looks like I never will get enough. All I seem to get is a place to sleep and something to eat. If I ever get some new clothes I will be on my way damn soon.
            You want to know what I do. Well that is easy to explain. I work in a joint and when I am off for a while I visit some other joint or else go to bed. I have been to one show in six months. I am more or less sponging on a friend of mine. Four of us fellows are living together in [p. 2] a nice house. His wife is In Napa that is the Hospital for the feeble minded. We do our own cooking and cleaning. How would you like a job? I don’t have any women on the string. I have always kept my nose clean. I have trouble enough to keep myself. That is the way I spend my time. What I life. Shit!!! I could get sentimental as hell every time I think what an ass I am.
            Well darling that is enough of that. I am off tonight, no dough, no place to go, all I have to do is sit here and drink [p. 3] We have plenty of stuff here because we sell it wholesale. All kinds Whiskey, Jin, Alky, & Wine. Some racket. I should be proud of my self.
            How is the chances of getting a job with the Sherriff. I would go for that in a big way. All I do now is play piano. Do they sell beer & wine in Utah yet? I was up to Antioch and some other small touns to see about giving weekly dances[.] If I could put them over I could make some money. At least wages. [p. 4]
            I am sure glad you have a good job and like it. But gee dear I wish it was me that had the job and you could take care of a good home.
            The pictures you sent were sure swell. Please send some more. If I were to see my kiddies I hardly think I would know them. I would sure know my Dora. Same as ever. You never change, do you honey? Some day if I call you on the phone and say. Hello honey hows for a date tonite. Please meet me at six [p. 5] oclock some place. Oh boy what a thrill. Yes or No? That is what you may expect. Could you take care of me like you used to or are you going to make me wait?
            Give my best regards to dad and all the kids Thanks for the Easter card and the extra letter I will try to write more often dear. But I don’t have much news. All I can do is tell you my troubles. And I want to forget them. Love & kisses to you all will hope to hear from you soon. As ever your lover & daddy
                                                                        Wm Mitchell

No comments:

Post a Comment